VR is the latest buzzword that has led to a major rift in the market. Everybody wants to know what virtual reality is or how it works. If you are one of those countless numbers of people then you are in the right place. In this article, we are going to discuss everything you need to know about VR.
What is Virtual Reality?
Before moving onto any further details, you need to understand what exactly VR is. From the name itself, we get the hint that it is related to a world that doesn’t exist in reality.
VR creates a virtual world with the help of computer technology. This gives you a 3D experience where you can interact with your surroundings. You get to see this 3D world using a head-mounted display. The display is spilled between your eyes which creates a 3D effect accompanied by sound. With display and input tracking together, you get to enjoy an immersive experience that only exists as long as you are wearing the technology. This allows you to enjoy the world created by computers. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that VR is an advanced technology.
Basics of VR
Now that you know what a VR is let us take a look into its basics.
- VR creates a three-dimensional world that appears to be real for human eyes. They can even interact with their surroundings.
- There are VR headsets available using which you can create a virtual world to get an immersive experience.
- VR devices are created with the help of software and hardware. It is different from augmented reality. VR is a more complicated prospect.
- In VR world, your entire surrounding is simulated which makes it harder for you to retain realism.
- There are VR devices that work with the smell and tactile sensation. But sadly, you cannot enjoy any of these for now. The VR consumer market is only limited to hearing, vision and handling basic objects.
The VR Headset
The VR headset is the product of this advanced technology. There are many versions of the VR headset manufactured by some of the top companies. This includes PlayStation, Samsung, Sony, and Google. Each of the company has used its approach to get the technology right.
VR headsets are also divided into several categories. This is done based on the kind of hardware they are designed to work with.
- High-end VR headsets are mostly used with PCs. They are also bigger.
- There are VR headsets that are meant only to be used with gaming consoles. For example, Sony has its own VR headset for its PlayStation console.
- We are also introduced to stand-along VR headsets that come with all the required hardware.
- You can even get VR headsets that are meant to be used with smartphones. These are the most affordable ones you can get in the market.
VR is a cool technology with a lot of potentials. However, it has a long way to go. Experts are still working on its development.